For more information, please call 304.691.1000
For many people, symptoms like heartburn, nausea, abdominal pain or vomiting are uncomfortable, yet common. These symptoms can be signaling a problem within the digestive system that calls for specialized care. Cabell Huntington Hospital hosts an endoscopy suite near the surgery suite on the hospital’s second floor. Using state-of-the-art technology combined with experienced gastroenterologists and staff, patients with obscure abdominal pains and symptoms that were not previously diagnosed can now find relief.
Specialized gastrointestinal procedures now available at Cabell Huntington Hospital include:
- Endoscopic Ultrasound: For patients with pancreatic, stomach or rectal tumors to determine the extent of the cancer or for pain control through special medicine injections using therapeutic ultrasound technology
- CT Enterography: For assessment of the abdomen and solid organs and diagnosis of small bowel disorders
- Capsule Enteroscopy: A small, wireless capsule containing a camera to gather pictures of the small intestine
- Upper GI Endoscopy: For diagnostic evaluation and management of upper gastrointestinal tract disorders
- Stretta Therapy:To relieve chronic symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Motility Studies: To evaluate the muscle movement of the esophagus and the rectum
- Gastric Electrical Stimulation: A gastric pacemaker that sends electrical impulses through abdominal muscles is used to evaluate and manage symptoms in patients who suffer from recurrent nausea and vomiting caused by the slow movement of food through the stomach
- Esophageal PH Monitoring: A technique used to monitor the reflux of acid into the esophagus. Commonly, this is a procedure used in combination with a motility study to evaluate patients with recurrent heartburn, difficulty swallowing or non-cardiac chest pains
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography): Used to diagnose problems with the liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- Colonoscopy: A common procedure used to screen for colon cancer and for management of lower intestinal bleeding
The Importance of Screenings
By creating a center designated solely for evaluation and treatment of digestive diseases, Cabell Huntington Hospital brings additional focus to the importance of regular screenings that can expose problems before they get too serious. Have regular screening colonoscopies as recommended to identify any potential problems as soon as possible.